Thursday, February 14, 2008

Sock Yarn - a Discovery

Sock yarn is amazing. Before I knew even how to knit socks, I would browse through blogs and see the finished socks of different bloggers. The patterns and colors amazed me and had me chomping at the bit to learn how to do this. When I saw a patterned sock (simple stockinette) and I loved the colors and pattern, I would determinedly look through the blog notes to find what sock yarn and what color it was. (As a side note, I really wish bloggers would not be so mysterious and let us know the yarn brand and color they used. I hate when they keep it a secret). I am a pretty good detective and most of the time, I can find the yarn. I then proceeded to buy it, even though I didn't knit socks. The best part is that it is usually only one (or two) skeins, which isn't always much of an investment.



Eventually, I did learn how to knit socks. I have found that it's a wonderful process knit up this yarn and any new sock yarn I have discovered. But what is even more enlightening is finding yarn that I really enjoy knitting (separate from the color). The way some yarns feel as you knit makes a whole lot of difference on how you stick with a project. So far, I have loved to knit with Socks that Rock, Colinette Jitterbug, Wollmeise, Plucky Knitter, and now Lana Grossa's Meilenweit Multieffekt. Each yarn has it's own feel and texture and when I find that I enjoy knitting with it, I knit faster and want to knit it rather than leaving it as a work in progress. I often think of Miss Violet of Lime and Violet who will squeal, when she finds a sock yarn she wants and is able to buy it. I feel that excitement now when I find a sock yarn I love to knit with.



I love the pattern that comes out of these yarns. As I knit, I want to knit faster to see what comes next in the pattern. It really is a joy to have this excitement come over you to keep knitting so you can finish to see the final result.



I love knitting on size 2 bamboo double pointed needles. Size 1 needles are okay, but my fingers feel cramped. Plus, you have to knit longer to get the size sock you want. After using size 1 needles, Size 2 needles make it feel as if you are flying when you knit. (Bloggers, please also give us the size needles you used to make your sock. Size does matter. In some cases, to avoid pooling, you need to change needle sizes).

So, here are my Meilenweit Multieffekt socks in color 3124 that I am knitting on size 2 bamboo needles. I just love knitting with this yarn and I love the pattern. I call them my Easter socks.

Multieffect Sock
Also, on the needles are two dishcloths. I am knitting the Squidge Cloth by Knit-Nutt. I am using size 6 knitpicks needles with Peaches and Cream in Sea Mist.
Squidge Cloth
I am also knitting the Awareness Ribbon Cloth by Donna Burgess using Sugar and Cream in Rose Pink with size 6 needles.
Awareness Cloth
Still knitting my sweater and I am close to finishing the front. Hopefully, the weather will allow me to go to class on Saturday as I might be able to complete it by then.

1 comment:

Unraveled said...

I love your Easter socks and the colors are great. I have a few skeins of sock yarn that I an't wait to start.